Monday, January 14, 2013

Readjust...

Isn't this how it goes?  You make a plan, try it out, and make adjustments.
I made these scripture prompts thinking I'd put them up and just read the scripture that was on it for the day. 
Turns out this isn't enough to satiate my hunger/thirst!
This is a great way to study, to go farther into some specific scriptures.
So this is my plan.  Study these scriptures from the B of M in the morning and study the D & C in the afternoon.  I just need them both right now!

Here was my thinking for dividing up the Book of Mormon scriptures...
25 scriptures from 1 Nephi
25 from 2 Nephi 1- 27
25 from 2 Nephi 28 - Words of Mormon
25 from Mosiah
We are at 100 days now.
165 from Alma
25 from Helaman - 3 Nephi 11
25 3 Nephi 12 - 26
25 3 Nephi 27 - Ether 5
25 Ether 6 - Moroni 10

That is 365!  Yahoo!

So, I've started again! 

Here are some thoughts from a few prompts... I need time for me to think, study, ponder, simmer these thoughts, that is when they really have power to change us right?

1 Nephi 1:20 - Tender mercies of the Lord.
The Lord’s tender mercies are the very personal and individualized blessings, strength, protection, assurances, guidance, loving-kindnesses, consolation, support, and spiritual gifts which we receive from and because of and through the Lord Jesus Christ. Truly, the Lord suits “his mercies according to the conditions of the children of men” (D&C 46:15).  Elder Bednar April 2005

I like that Nephi says he is going to show us these tender mercies.  Do we look for them?  Do we see them?  Do people need to point them out to us?  My guess is if we look we will see these sweet things from the Lord.  And Nephi does show us time and again that the Lord does indeed pour these out upon his faithful.

1 N 7:1 - Divine plan for parenthood.
In particular this verse speaks to me.  Not only for the delight that parenthood has brought into my life and the divine purpose of it all, but in the realm of building up the kingdom of God.  Raising faithful children who know their Savior.  If I give up, and don't teach my children, if many of us do, our numbers vanish over time.  This is what happened in days of old.  How can the Lord get his work done here w/o us?  He can't, and likewise we lose.

I also liked the cross reference to Psalms 127:3 -Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

We can draw in yesterday's thoughts of covenants and blessings.  There is a promise, basic as the rising sun, in the fundamentals of parenthood.  As we covenant to stay within his boundaries, the laws of God, we will be rewarded.  That reward or blessing may not come until later than we can now see, but it comes.

1 N 7:15 - Ye have choice
'Decisions determine destiny.  You can't make an eternal choice w/o and eternal consequence.'  - President Monson

There is always a choice.  What Laman and Lemuel couldn't see is that they would've been destroyed had they gone back to Jarusalem.  We know that now, but they didn't.  I don't think they believed, really, but they erred on the side of caution and didn't go back.

There is always a choice and if the choice we make is to obey, there will be a blessing attached to that choice and law.

Regardless of faith, there is a principle of the Lord blessing us for being obedient. 

No comments:

Post a Comment