Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 274 Behold Your Little Ones...

I will get myself organized with all of the writing I insist on doing!  It takes organization!

3 N 17: 11-24 Behold Little Ones

As I was reading through this section this time I thought about a recent quote I've read... can't remember where I read it, but it essentially says that it's not enough to just live a good life, assuming your children will see that and choose that path also. 

We have to teach them, they don't just grow up to be good people without learning how.  What makes you good?  Why do you make the choices you do?  What are the results of that?  We need to teach them! 

Sister Grassli (former general primary president) 'Let us not underestimate the capacity and potential power for today's children to perpetuate righteousness. No group of people in the church is as receptive to the truth.


We see the result of the Savior loving and teaching these children.  For two hundred years there is righteousness with the Nephites.  These children held on to their experience, knowledge and testimony.  They grew and taught their children, who taught their children.  We see that as more time passes and more generations follow posterity starts to forget, maybe lag a little.  The intensity and reality of the experience becomes a story some may tell and some may not. 

We had our primary program on Sunday and I thought about my cute kids as I saw them up there on the stand, bearing testimony in the simplest of form.  I thought about teaching them... I need to do so much better.

They sang 'A Child's Prayer' and I cried... I always cry.  I love that song...

Lyrics

  1. 1. Heavenly Father, are you really there?
    And do you hear and answer ev'ry child's prayer?
    Some say that heaven is far away,
    But I feel it close around me as I pray.
    Heavenly Father, I remember now
    Something that Jesus told disciples long ago:
    "Suffer the children to come to me."
    Father, in prayer I'm coming now to thee.
This is the section where Christ blesses these children.  Not only does He himself take them, and love and care for them.  He prays to our Father in Heaven for them.
 
There is so much that is nasty and ugly in the world, so much I want to protect my children from.  I want to teach them, not only so they can grow to be good people, but so they can be happy, find peace, strength and consistency. 
 
 
 
I can teach, I can only do my best... and when it isn't enough I need to follow the example of my Savior and pray unto the Father to bless my little one's.  To give them strength and peace that I can't give them, that they don't know how to ask for yet.  Am I using the power of faith through prayer?
 
I felt the call again, reading this, that it is my job to teach.  Not just to live a good life, but to teach my children, so they know.  They have capacity to bring much goodness and righteousness into the world.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment