Monday, October 21, 2013

Days 293 & 294... and some from last week.

Last week was such a busy week for me...
And the reading was just what I needed.
Monday was a crazy day, I was anxious, I had a bunch to do... as I was fidgeting and working, feeling a little crazy in my mind... I stopped.
I know what my solutions is.  Always.
My road to calm is paved with prayer and scripture study.
There I find peace, perspective, guidance, priority, fulfillment... calm.

I thought it was interesting that my first reading of the week was the importance of scripture study... right there as a reminder as I headed into my busy week.


I didn't write last week, I hope to still find the time to share what I learned, but I read. 
I need that.  Is that where you are? Do you need that?  I thirst and hunger for it, it soothes my soul.

We are commanded to search the scriptures, and with this command, as we see with others, the Lord's commandment isn't a punishment, it's a blessing.  It is to me, whenever I choose to obey.

Calling it a commandment, instead of a suggestion, implies obedience or disobedience, which is always a choice, not just a happenstance.  It gives us ownership and accountability which can be rewarded. 

And when we choose to obey, we are rewarded.

I felt that last week, many times.

Day 293 Neither Root Nor Branch
3 Nephi 25:1
I think as I've previously read this scripture I've thought it's just saying those that are proud and wicked will be burned, so nothing remains, neither root nor branch!

I learned this scripture is actually referring to the sealing power of the priesthood.  Our ancestors, our roots and our future posterity, our branches.  The wicked and proud won't be burned... they will be cut off from their families... disconnected from root and branch... that may just be worse, maybe not!

Day 294 If they Believe, Then Greater Things Will be Made Manifest
3 Nephi 26:6-12
This is the principle of line upon line.  As we learn more, invest more, we get more, we grow... ever upward.

Is it really fair to ask for more when we don't really make use of all that we already have?

I also read this quote where President Kimball talks about people asking when we'll get the rest of the Book of Mormon records and his response was... how many of you have read the record that already exists?  Hmmm.

"We are quite often looking for the spectacular, the unobtainable.  I have found many people who want to live the higher laws when they do not live the lower laws. 

Food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. I am a new follower! I bookmarked your blog as a daily read! :)

    Kate

    www.designermommy13.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete