Monday, October 7, 2013

277 - 279

My word, as I'm going through this list I'm see all sorts of mistakes, like mis-numbering! 
Oh well, I'll fix it and move on!

Day 277 3 Nephi 18:21
Pray In Your Families

21 aPray in your families unto the Father, always in my name, that your wives and your children may be blessed.

I feel so fortunate that I grew up in a home where we did this... daily.
I believe it gave me the foundation I need... both in habit and in learning of the Savior for myself.
I am so grateful for parents that layed that foundation for me.
The nights that have been long, where I just want to put the kids down and be quiet... we at least have family prayer... we always have time for that, even when there is no energy!
It is one thing I'm sure of.


I feel satisfied that there is no adequate substitute for the morning and evening practice of kneeling together—father, mother, and children. This, more than soft carpets, more than lovely draperies, more than cleverly balanced color schemes, is the thing that will make for better and more beautiful homes (from Ensign, Feb. 1991, 2).

Day 278 3 Nephi 18:36-37
Power to Give the Holy Ghost

36 And it came to pass that when Jesus had made an end of these sayings, he touched with his ahand the bdisciples whom he had chosen, one by one, even until he had touched them all, and spake unto them as he touched them.
 37 And the multitude heard not the words which he spake, therefore they did not bear record; but the disciples bare record that he gave them apower to give the bHoly Ghost. And I will show unto you chereafter that this record is true.

I learned this time that Moroni does show tell us what was said when Jesus touched and spoke to his disciples, I never saw that before.  The footnote takes us to Moroni 2:2

The words of Christ, which he spake unto his adisciples, the twelve whom he had chosen, as he laid his hands upon them—
 And he called them by name, saying: Ye shall acall on the Father in my name, in mighty prayer; and after ye have done this ye shall have bpower that to him upon whom ye shall lay your chands, dye shall give the Holy Ghost; and in my name shall ye give it, for thus do mine apostles.
 Now Christ spake these words unto them at the time of his first appearing; and the multitude heard it not, but the disciples heard it; and on as many as they alaid their hands, fell the Holy Ghost.
 
 
 
Again, we see the authority of the priesthood given by Jesus Christ himself.  That power to speak in His name, to heal in His name, to confer, to administer ordinances... all through power that was given by He himself to the apostles.  We believe in the same thing today... literal authority.
 
Day 279 3 Nephi 19:10-13
Baptized Anew
 
10 And when they had thus prayed they went down unto the water’s edge, and the multitude followed them.
 11 And it came to pass that Nephi went down ainto the water and was bbaptized.
 12 And he came up out of the water and began to baptize. And he baptized all those whom Jesus had chosen.
 13 And it came to pass when they were all baptized and had come aup out of the water, the bHoly Ghost did fall upon them, and they were filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.
 
 
 
Although they had already been baptized Jesus commanded them to be baptized again... They had been baptized for the remission of sins, but now Christ was organizing His church anew... the law of Moses had been fulfilled with his Atonement, Death and Resurrection.  With His reorganization both in the old world and in the new this was a necessary step.  Baptism for the remission of sin, then the conferring of the Holy Ghost, with the authority of the priesthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment