Monday, March 3, 2014

Matthew 6 - Eternity with the Savior

Of course this chapter has a ton of great insight with the beatitudes.
This time through this chapter I pondered on these scriptures...

19 ¶Lay not up for yourselves atreasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves bbreak through and steal:
20 But lay up for yourselves atreasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor bsteal:
21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
 
Recently our bishop quoted someone he knows that said something to the effect of spending just 20 minutes a day with our Savior will result in an eternity with him... or something like that.

image via
 
Treasures in heaven.  It is true that believing we are working for something, beyond just this life affects our choices, what we choose today.
 
Not only does seeking my savior, spending time in scripture study, prayer and pondering, benefit me right now, (making me feel good inside, changing who I am, how I behave, what I'm learning and growing into) but I believe it ultimately will affect my afterlife. 
 
I don't think we will magically be something different when we cross the veil.  I believe what we have worked to become in this life is what we will still be when our spirit moves on.  What is important to us now will be the case later. 
 
So, now is the time to lay up our treasures, to make sure things of eternal importance are right there at the top of our lists.  Spending time each day with my Savior benefits me in this mortal journey, but also is where my heart really desires to be, where my treasure lies.  It's where I want to be when my life here on earth is finished.
 
Spencer W. Kimball
"No father, no son, no mother, no daughter should get so busy that he or she does not have time to study the scriptures and the words of modern prophets.  None of us should get so busy that we crowd out contemplation and praying."

 2The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine aeye be bsingle, thy whole body shall be full of clight.
 
This has become one of my most favorite scriptures, of all time...
 
The light of our body is in the eye... the eyes are the window to the soul, our spirits.
The light of our body is our spirit.  When our eye is single to the glory of God, when we keep that in focus it will fill our body with light. 
Have you received His image in your countenance?  I think this is a real thing!  When someone is full of faith, eye single to the glory of God, you can see it in their physicality.
 
Also, reading D&C 93:28 footnote... as we keep an eye single (to the glory of God) we are filled with light and knowledge.
 
What better reward than light and knowledge? 
The more I understand God and His plan, my Savior Jesus Christ and the mysteries of His gospel, the deeper my devotion, the more sincere my conviction, the more anxiously engaged I am in my own change and betterment.  

No comments:

Post a Comment