Friday, January 13, 2012

Thursday
Thankful for...
Ballet, that is not a normal feeling for me.  I am, by no means, a ballerina.  It still feels foreign, I'm unsure of where my arms go, and my head placement.  It challenges me.  I didn't grow up doing ballet, but I'm a good technician, I have good lines and lift.  I just need practice. 
Standing in parallel feels better than turnout, using my back, contracting feels more comfortable than being held all of class.  But it is good for me.
I felt some yucks this evening and considered not going to ballet.  It was such a good workout and I know it will make me a better dancer.  I was so thankful for ballet.  It takes some convincing to go, but I'm always glad that I did.

Study time...
Today at institute we talked about Hannah, Samuel, Eli and Saul.  (1 Samuel 1-15)  Going to institute has piqued my interest and I always come home wanting to spend time in the old testament, new feeling!  We talked about character vs. behavior.  How they relate to each other, how they are different.  Are they learned, innate, can you change them and does the act of changing them affect the other?  We talked about them in the context of challenge and temptation. 
It was a good reminder, at a good time that these are two separate elements.  We never behave perfectly right?  I am continually making mistakes with my behavior.  BUT, I believe in my character, who I am.  I can change my behavior so it better reflects my character, and in times of temptation and trial, does my behavior reveal my true character?
Does behavior reflect character in times of challenge or temptation?  Does challenge or temptation come to reveal our true character?
Maxwell April 1999 talk
President Young observed that real faith requires faith in the Savior’s character, in His Atonement, and in the plan of salvation (in Journal of Discourses, 13:56). The Savior’s character necessarily underwrote His remarkable Atonement. Without His sublime character there could have been no sublime Atonement! His character is such that He went forth “suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind” (Alma 7:11), yet He gave temptations “no heed” (D&C 20:22).
C. S. Lewis has said that only those who resist temptation really understand the power of temptation. Because Jesus resisted it perfectly, He understood temptation perfectly; hence He can help us. (See Mere Christianity [1952], 124–25.) The fact that He was dismissive of temptation and gave it “no heed” reveals His marvelous character, which we are to emulate (see 3 Ne. 12:48; 3 Ne. 27:27).

Photo...
This winter has been so oddly warm, no snow!  This photo is of the berries outside my house with rain drops on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment